January 1, 2009

2008: In Review, Part 2

1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?:
Got pregnant!

2. 2008’s Goals:
I know I had some goals, and I have no idea what they were.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?:
Nope.

4. Did anyone close to you die?:
My dog, Sasha.

5. What countries did you visit?:
The good ol' US of A

6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?:
Consistency and clarity

7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?:
September 24, 2008 - the day I found out I was pregnant

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?:
Probably my internship. That whole quarter of school was tough, but I did well in everything.

9. What was your biggest failure?:
My thesis proposal did not pass the graduate committee back in June. Hopefully that will be remedied soon.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?:
Yes. I had a lot of pregnancy-related issues.

11. What was the best thing you bought?:
My Canon 40D and Macbook. LOVE!

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?:
Roy - the man is a saint. My friends - it's amazing that they put up with me. My mom - she was very supportive, as she always has been.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?:
Many of the Yes on 8 people.

14. Where did most of your money go?:
Bills.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?:
Being pregnant. Obama getting elected. Christmas vacation.

16. What songs will always remind you of 2008?:
anything by She & Him or Roma di Luna, songs from Coldplay's "Viva la Vida" album

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i) happier or sadder?: happier
ii) thinner or fatter?: fatter, for sure
iii) richer or poorer?: broke as usual

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?:
Traveling

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?:
Working at my stupid job

20. How did you spend Christmas?:
In Texas in a big house with some colorful characters

22. Did you fall in love in 2008?:
Already answered this.

23. How many one-night stands?:
Um, none.

24. What were your favorite TV programs?:
Lost, Prison Break, One Tree Hill, Heroes

25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?:
I don't hate people. It takes too much energy.

26. What was the best book you read?:
Probably The Secret History or The Time Traveler's Wife

27. What was your greatest musical discovery?:
She & Him and Roma di Luna!

28. What did you want and get?:
Pregnant.

29. What did you want and not get?:
A new job.

30. What was your favorite film of this year?:
Probably The Dark Knight.

31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?:
29, baby! We went to Murder Mystery Dinner Theatre.

32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?:
Finding a new job that I actually enjoy.

33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?:
Casual and comfortable. I just can't be bothered to be stylish.

34. What kept you sane?:
Roy, family and friends, writing, photography

35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?:
Honestly, I don't really pay attention to celebrities.

36. What political issue stirred you the most?:
Prop 8, for sure. What a mindfuck.

37. Who did you miss?:
My family. My friends.

38. Who was the best new person you met?:
There's this girl at work who is relatively new. She's very young and wonderfully strange (and unapologetic).

39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008:
There's balance in the universe. If your life sucks, hang in there - it will get better.

40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:

What a beautiful face
I have found in this place
That is circling all round the sun
What a beautiful dream
That could flash on the screen
In a blink of an eye and be gone from me
Soft and sweet
Let me hold it close and keep it here with me, me

And one day we will die
And our ashes will fly from the aeroplane over the sea
But for now we are young
Let us lay in the sun
And count every beautiful thing we can see
Love to be
In the arms of all I'm keeping here with me, me

What a curious life we have found here tonight
There is music that sounds from the street
There are lights in the clouds
Anne's ghost all around
Hear her voice as it's rolling and ringing through me
Soft and sweet
How the notes all bend and reach above the trees, trees

Now how I remember you
How I would push my fingers through
Your mouth to make those muscles move
That made your voice so smooth and sweet
Now we keep where we don't know
All secrets sleep in winter's clothes
With one you loved so long ago
Now he don't even know his name

What a beautiful face
I have found in this place
That is circling all round the sun
And when we meet on a cloud
I'll be laughing out loud
I'll be laughing with everyone I see
Can't believe how strange it is to be anything at all, at all


-Roma di Luna's version of "In the Aeroplane over the Sea" (which I already prattled on about incessantly)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, I love In The Aeroplane Over the Sea, so I will have to check out Roma di Luna. Anyone who covers Neutral Milk Hotel is cool in my book.

Anonymous said...

very cool list.

secret history is on my TBR list for next month. i've heard great things about it.