July 6, 2007

8 Days: Self-Conscious Bride

I often wonder if the lighting in dressing rooms is designed to purposely make people feel bad about their bodies. Tonight Roy and I went shopping to find a bathing suit for me. I found out very late that I need a bathing suit to go to the spa tomorrow. I haven't owned a bathing suit in years, because I avoid the sun as much as possible in the summertime. It was truly not a fun sight seeing myself in the different bathing suits I tried on. It actually made me a little weepy.

The strange thing is I haven't gained a pound. But I apparently have lost muscle and gained quite a bit of cellulite in its place. I made the effort to work out to get in better shape, but most of the time I have chosen not to go to my yoga class over actually going to it simply because of the nature of it. It's hot yoga, and every class leaves me completely useless afterward. That's fine if you're not planning a wedding. But I've had to skip classes just so I don't collapse afterwards.

If I could tell any bride one thing, it would be this: don't beat yourself up over your body the way I'm currently doing. It just isn't going to do you any good to pick apart your flaws. I wish that I would listen to my own advice, but unfortunately, whenever I look into the mirror, all I see is a very physically flawed bride looking uncertainly back at me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ummm....yet again, this might get slightly personal....but why do women have such a complex as far as their bodies are concerned....I mean....if you really take those stupid bimbos who model down catwalks season after season as the standard.....then its understandable(although, i still haven't been able to figure out how they're good looking..)
At the end of the day....its all about you feeling confident of what you are and what you think....not about how others choose to lead their lives and appearances....is it not?

Anonymous said...

and yeah....I've just completed my first year in civil engineering....:D

Anonymous said...

i think those lights are rigged, as well!