October 13, 2009

Jewelyn's Legacy

If you're not reading my blog in a reader, then you'll see that I've added a little something on the side. ------------>

You can click there to be directed to Jewelyn's memorial site so you can get updates on her daughter Gabrielle. If you click over, you'll see that Gabrielle was released from the hospital last week and is doing just wonderfully at home. There are some concerns because Gabrielle was deprived of oxygen for awhile before she was born, but there won't be any conclusive evidence that anything might be wrong until she's a few months older. However, for now, she is doing well, and that's all we can ask for.

I figure that everything with Gabrielle just has to go well. It would be cruel of the fates to curse this beautiful little girl with something terrible or incurable since she has already lost her mother. And I was thinking last night that while the memorial site is so great, it sucks so bad that it even has to exist. I feel so sad every time I look at Jewelyn's maternity photos. It's just not fair.

I wish I had known Jewelyn better. I said before that I knew her casually, and that really is the best way to describe it. I hadn't seen her in almost two years. She'd asked a mutual friend for my email address several months ago, but she never emailed me. I wish I would have emailed her. I feel like I missed out. I'll never have a chance to really know her.

Even though I didn't know her well, Jewelyn's death has really hit me hard. It's a reminder of how fragile we all are. We're all just teetering on the edge of life, aren't we?

2 comments:

phairhead said...

i keep thinking of the Kate Bush song "breathing" everytime you write about jewelynn

Angie Eats Peace said...

Definitely.
Thanks for doing this, I will remember to put mine in my blog.