November 18, 2010

Happy Birth Day, Simon

Simon Robert (AKA Burt Reynolds)
11/16/10, 4:24 AM
8 lbs 4 oz, 20 inches



This is the only photo I have for now. We've taken plenty, but it's been a crazy 72+ hours. I'll hopefully be able to update soon with some more pictures and a very detailed birth story. You guys know how I like the details.

A few words about the birth: I wish I could say that I did end up with a VBAC, but Simon had other plans. I did go into labor on my own, slept through my entire early labor (about six hours), and then labored for 21 more hours (I think) without meds. I had two pushing stages: the first was two hours and the second was six. It was determined pretty late in the game that Simon was posterior, and while we made every effort to get him into an anterior position, progress was so slow that I ended up being completely exhausted and unable to go on. We transferred to the hospital, where I had a repeat C-section. I was able to be awake for it, which made the experience so much better.

My recovery hasn't been the easiest in the world. My bladder got nicked during the surgery (due to scar tissue from my first C-section), and so I'm still catheterized. We're hoping to get that out tomorrow. It's been waaaaaaaaay too much fun trying to get up and walking again while dealing with a catheter. It isn't a big deal, really, just one of those pain in the ass things. I've also had a major headache for the last 48 hours, probably due to muscle tension/exhaustion/stress. It's pretty much the worst headache I've ever had. So if you combine the sexy catheter with general C-section recovery and the headache from hell, yeah, I could be feeling better.

On the up side, Simon is doing really great at nursing. And emotionally, both Roy and I are doing really well. Even though I ended up with another C-section, I really did give a VBAC my all, and there wasn't a whole lot more that I could've done to change the outcome. All I ever really wanted was an empowered birth, and that's exactly what I had. I have no regrets. I think I kicked ass, actually.

And Simon is an amazing baby. I had forgotten just how sweet and floppy newborns are. He's just wonderful. We're completely smitten.

Thank you so much for all your support and love and good thoughts. xoxo

20 comments:

Amanda said...

Congratulations again! And way to go on having a more empowered birth! You are awesome! :)

Sara said...

You DO kick ass mama, dont you ever forget it!! I do not envy that cath..ugh, sorry to hear about that...but I am OVER THE MOON that you were awake for the section and that nursing is going well!! Continued good thoughts to you and the fam :)

Nanette said...

Congrats again! Welcome to the world, Simon! (Love the name, btw!)

Also so happy to hear that you got the empowered birth you were...pun-intended...PUSHING FOR!

Amy said...

Congrats! I'm so glad the birth went better this time around!

Lydia said...

Congrats to you and your boys!

Unknown said...

So very happy for your family!

phairhead said...

big kiss to you and yr little 'uns!

Cynthia said...

You rock girl! Congrats again, he's awesome!!

weezermonkey said...

Congratulations! :)

alejna said...

Oh, Leslie! Congratulations! He's beautiful. And I love the name.

I'm so glad you had a positive experience this time. You sure did kick some ass.

I wish you a speedy recovery!

Angie Eats Peace said...

Congrats, to your family! He is adorable.

mj said...

Congrats to you and your family! Glad you had a better experience this time around :)

Erika said...

SOOOOOO happy for you!!!....:)

Mandi said...

Leslie, I can't even begin to tell you how much ass you kicked. I am in complete awe of you. Congratulations on your beautiful new little man.

inflammatory writ said...

Congratulations Leslie! I knew this time around would be better for you. <3 <3 I LOVE the name Simon!!

Jessica said...

He is so beautiful!

Congratulations on your empowered birth! I'm sincerely happy things went better for you this time.

I look forward to reading more.

Anonymous said...

aww congratulations, simon is beautiful!! i'm so happy you had a positive, empowering birth experience. best wishes to you and your new family!

p.s. i love that name

alyssa said...

congratulations! simon is a doll! glad to hear you had a great birth! i was hoping for that for you! so glad breastfeeding is going well, too! yay! here's to bonding and loving that little boy of yours!

cowboyboot lady said...

So glad to hear you had a positive experience. Simon is a doll!

amber said...

Happy belated Birthday to Simon!