March 10, 2009

Ten Things I Loved (and Miss) About Sasha

One year ago, one of the best dogs I have ever known passed away. You can read about it here. She came into my life when I was 13 years old and has never left my heart since. I still think of her and miss her every day.

Here's my Sasha list:

1) She grunted and groaned when she moved because she was overweight. I loved all her little noises.

2) She had soulful brown eyes. I remember the times when I would look into them as I cried, and it was like she could feel my pain.

3) Her "eyebrows" were also very expressive. She could look pensive or worried or happy depending on what those eyebrows were doing.

4) She ate whatever she could get away with. This included other dog poo, cat poo, her own poo (probably), dead things, all of my mom's cats' food, etc. Her eating was totally out of control, and obviously she had some nasty habits. But when I think back on these things, I can't help but smile.

5) Whenever she wagged her tail, her whole body moved with it. She was just entirely too excited all the time.

6) She had such a sweet disposition and got along well with my mom's cats. I would watch her clean and chew on them and let them chew on and clean her. So cute.

7) She would roll onto her back when you walked up to her. It was her standard "look at me, I'm cute" pose.

8) She looked so damn cute once she'd been groomed and had her fur trimmed. I remember someone referring to her as a creampuff. Yep, that sounds right to me. Sasha the creampuff.

9) No matter how long it had been since I'd been home to visit, she always remembered me. Always.

10) She was never a sleek and perfect purebred dog, but she was always beautiful to me.

Love you, Firf, and miss you tons and tons. I hope there's nothing but happiness (and food) where you are.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a sweet dog! I know what it is like to lose a pet that you love a lot. We just had to put down our 190 pound Neapolitan Mastiff "Dante" on Feb 13th. It was the hardest thing I have ever done, I miss him so much.

A lot of people don't understand and think they are just pets, but they are members of our family!

Leslie said...

Eric's Mommy - I'm so sorry for the loss of your fuzzy buddy, Dante. It is so hard. Wishing you much healing.

phairhead said...

awww she looks so docile. how were you in that pic by the by?

Leslie said...

phairhead - How old was I? I was 22, I believe (almost 8 years ago).

Angie Eats Peace said...

I love that picture of you both!

#2 really applied to Lucy, as well.

JennB said...

I can't believe it's been a year. I see a lot of Sasha in our monster. I hope she has plenty of food and an iron stomach where she is.

Leslie said...

Angelina - Me too; it's one of my favorites. And I think many (if not all) dogs are able to see into our souls.

Jenn - Thanks. I hope so, too. :)

Growing Up Cameron said...

I dread the day I lose my poopies. :(

xoxoxo