One year ago, one of the best dogs I have ever known passed away. You can read about it here. She came into my life when I was 13 years old and has never left my heart since. I still think of her and miss her every day.
Here's my Sasha list:
1) She grunted and groaned when she moved because she was overweight. I loved all her little noises.
2) She had soulful brown eyes. I remember the times when I would look into them as I cried, and it was like she could feel my pain.
3) Her "eyebrows" were also very expressive. She could look pensive or worried or happy depending on what those eyebrows were doing.
4) She ate whatever she could get away with. This included other dog poo, cat poo, her own poo (probably), dead things, all of my mom's cats' food, etc. Her eating was totally out of control, and obviously she had some nasty habits. But when I think back on these things, I can't help but smile.
5) Whenever she wagged her tail, her whole body moved with it. She was just entirely too excited all the time.
6) She had such a sweet disposition and got along well with my mom's cats. I would watch her clean and chew on them and let them chew on and clean her. So cute.
7) She would roll onto her back when you walked up to her. It was her standard "look at me, I'm cute" pose.
8) She looked so damn cute once she'd been groomed and had her fur trimmed. I remember someone referring to her as a creampuff. Yep, that sounds right to me. Sasha the creampuff.
9) No matter how long it had been since I'd been home to visit, she always remembered me. Always.
10) She was never a sleek and perfect purebred dog, but she was always beautiful to me.
Love you, Firf, and miss you tons and tons. I hope there's nothing but happiness (and food) where you are.