May 19, 2009

Quilt-tarded

Note: I started this post at the beginning of January and am just now publishing it.

Why? Because I'm quilt-tarded. It has taken me this long to actually finish a quilting project. My sister-in-law Mandy and I took a quilting class together the first weekend of January, and it didn't take me long to figure out that I suck at quilting. We made the mistake of signing up for a mystery quilt class, which ended up being quite difficult - especially for two gals who'd never even used a sewing machine. We mucked our way through, though.

I started off with piles of fabric:





And these piles of fabric got sewn into annoying little pieces:





(Do you see that pair of blue scissors in the background? I've had those since I was in fifth grade. I am enormously proud of them even though they can't cut worth shit anymore.)

My seam ripper became my best friend:



And finally (we're talking early February) I was able to put together a whole block!



Unfortunately, I never made much progress after this. I still plan on finishing it, but I got distracted. Plus, as everyone at the fabric store just loved to point out, I probably spent more time talking than actually sewing.

Mandy, on the other hand, became a quilting rock star and actually finished the top of her mystery quilt:









She's in the process of actually quilting it now.

To make things totally back-asswards, we signed up to take a beginning quilting class in March to learn all the things we should have known before taking our first class in January. I decided that my project for the class would be a baby blanket for Charlie:



This was my favorite fabric out of all the ones I chose:



Of course, in true show-off fashion, Mandy quickly went from this:



To this:



While it took me forever to get from this:





To this:



I put this project away for all of April, and then Mandy and I decided that I should go ahead and finish it up before Charlie's arrival. So Mandy came over on Sunday, and I sewed all my blocks together:



And then she came back yesterday and helped me put on the borders:



Instead of quilting it myself, I'm going to have the owner of the fabric store do it, because let's face it - I'm still quilt-tarded.

But wait! There's more!

Mandy and I sewed some burp cloths for Charlie. Here are hers:



Here's mine:



Mandy sewed some scraps together to make a totally weird block:



I do enjoy quilting, even though I'm not great at it. And I actually have another project in the works, but it's going to be on hold indefinitely because I have to do things like watch TV and squeeze a baby out of my vagina.

10 comments:

cowboyboot lady said...

I commend you for your attempt at quilting! I don't think I would have the patience. Mandy is a rock star quilter!!! Your finished quilt with borders looks great...Charlie will love it! Kudos on the quilting...such a productive way to spend your time off. Now back to important stuff...like tv watching! lol

Laura said...

Your quilt top looks great! I suggest making baby sized quilts. That's what I do and they go much faster.

phairhead said...

wow, you gals are so talented. cutie burpie cloths : )

JennB said...

Hey, you actually got through a whole quilt (mostly)That's awesome! I can't sew a straight line. My mom is a quilt genius, and that gene didn't pass down. I'm quite the quilt tard myself.

Erika said...

^ I agree with Angie.....I have a sewing machine sitting in my closet because I have no patience on trying to re thread it.....UGH!

Anonymous said...

wow i'm very impressed with the quilt! it's beautiful. i am not at all crafty. a coworker taught me how to knit like 6 months ago and all i've done since then is make a scraf that doesn't even fit around my neck.

Anonymous said...

um, yeah i meant to say "scarf" and not "scraf" obviously :)

Brenda said...

Wow, what great looking quilts! The ending of this post made me crack up and I needed a good laugh...thanks! :)

Leslie said...

cowboyboot lady - Thanks! Yeah, Mandy is a total rock star quilter. She makes me look bad. ;)

Laura - Thanks for the suggestion. I may try that next time.

Phairhead - Thanks. I didn't even include all the mistakes I made and cutting down that had to be done because of said mistakes. ;)

Jenn - My grandmother was a big quilter, and yeah, I don't think I got that gene either. She did it all by hand, if you can believe that.

Angelina - Well, that's a good thing, because I wouldn't even attempt to run a marathon. ;)

Erika - Rethreading sucks. I should know, as I've had to rethread mine countless times. I totally get where you're coming from.

thebookmill - Personally, I like "scraf" better. It's a more fun word. :P

Brenda - Glad to be of service. ;)

amber said...

I love the quilt you made for Charlie - it's really adorable.

Btw, this post helped to finally get me off my butt and sign up for a sewing class. I've been wanting to learn how to sew since post college and everything else kept getting in the way. I'm excited to finally do it though! So thanks. :)