May 23, 2009

The Simple Life

I've come to realize that life will never be simple. If something can get complicated, it will. Doing something easy like making a phone call to correct a mistake on a bill can end up being a huge task that involves many more follow-up phone calls, requesting to speak to a supervisor, and so on and so forth.

But like so many others, I just want my life to be simple. Being off work makes it feel very simple. Things feel very elementary to me right now. I am enjoying it very much.

I am re-reading the first book in one of my favorite series of books from childhood. Talk about a simple life! I really did long for a life like that as a child. I always thought it would be nice to be completely satisfied with receiving a rag doll and a piece of candy for Christmas. I wanted to learn how to make butter and ice cream and candy. As I got older, I kind of moved away from that way of thinking. And now I find myself with an even stronger desire to just keep it simple, to enjoy life's simple pleasures - like leaving the AC off and opening the windows, reading a book while taking a bath, going for a walk.

In this day and age, we are truly spoiled. Even in this economy, we are spoiled. Not everyone, of course, but a lot of us are.

The long Memorial Day weekend is upon us, at long last. I say "at long last" because Memorial Day weekend is something I've thought about constantly this year, as it is the closest holiday to my due date. There are still no indicators that I will be giving birth anytime soon, so Roy and I are going to make this the Weekend of Us. It will definitely be our last weekend as just us. Even if Charlie is not here by next weekend, my mom will be.

So we're just going to have fun and savor this simple life. I hope you all have wonderful long weekends as well. I'll hopefully be back sometime this weekend with my 39 week post.

5 comments:

Angie Eats Peace said...

Word and word.
We humans just love to complicate things. I am a huge offender of this.

Erika said...

Right on sista!!

I feel you ALLLL the way.

Enjoy the simple life....:)

Amanda said...

This is so true. We do complicate things. I'm married to a major over-thinker too....so even the smallest task becomes a huge ordeal.

By the way, I have a first edition Little House in the Big Woods. Printed in 1900-something. It's back in Birmingham, so I can't remember the date. It was one of the coolest gifts I ever got. I also have a first edition Anne of Green Gables.

Leslie said...

Angelina - I am, too. And I'm sure I'll return to being that way. It's just soooo nice to have a break from the ratrace.

Erika - Thanks! I totally am enjoying myself. :)

Amanda - First edition?! Wow, that's pretty incredible. I love Anne of Green Gables! Ahhhh! Another one I need to reread.

amber said...

It feels like the older I get, the more and more complicated things get. Doesn't mean I don't strive to keep it simple, but it's just really hard to do that sometimes.